Friday, August 21, 2009

Day 21 - Two Brothers


Seventeen years ago, my hubby (then my fiance) and I walked into the local animal shelter, hoping to find a pair of kittens to take home. We weren't disappointed. Four little legs reached through the bars. I opened the cage door and the black and white kitten jumped out and landed on Jack's sweater. The black kitten jumped and landed on the front of mine. Draped in kittens, we went to the front desk and said, "We'll take these." Since our hands were empty, the lady asked us, "Take what?" We pointed to our sweaters and what appeared to be two large fuzzy lapel pins. She wrote up the papers, and we walked out with what would soon become my twin heartbeats. The black and white kitten, dubbed Spinner, became Jack's shadow. The black kitten, Bobber, is my constant companion. Although I've always loved black cats, these two were something different and I've been forever changed by their presence in my life. Spinner passed away this Spring, but at times I still feel him in my arms, see him in my dreams. Bobber is my pillowmate, and he's never farther than arm's reach. To all those that say "Black cats bring bad luck!" I say, "Bah Humbug!" The day I opened the cage door was the luckiest day of my life.

Thanks to all that open their homes and hearts to these creatures of superstition. If you'd like a little black cat luck in your life, contact Black Cat Rescue today!

No comments: