Monday, October 27, 2008

You Tube How To's

We did it! Thanks to the wonderful help of Kyle Echols of Echols Photography, we were able to produce our first series of You Tube How To videos on the basics of pumpkin carving. What fun! I'm now addicted to the magic of You Tube. Though these videos may be the first, they won't be the last. Eventually we'll add more tips and tricks on pumpkin carving, plus a series of videos on holiday crafts and entertaining.

Now, people ask me, "What do you do the REST of the year?" Well, besides being a full time mom and full time college student, we plan as we can for fall. Spring is magazine time, that's when the magazines shoot their fall layouts, so I create designs in Feb. and March for that. Occasionally I may be contacted to do several pumpkins for a large display, like the portraits of the Presidents, and that in itself can take the remainder of the year. During the summer I design the pattern books for the website, and I start taking orders for personal carvings. Unfortunately, many people wait to ask me in October, when my work is already planned out, so I need to clone myself if I ever want to get it all done! Honestly, in October I'm usually in media mode, doing tv segments on shows like Martha, Fox, and The Food Network. (By the way, did you see the Food Challenge Outrageous Pumpkins episode? Catch it between now and Halloween and see yours truly as one of the judges...I was really impressed!)I'm also trying to answer as many emails as I can...hence the need for the videos! I'm often asked the same questions again and again, so, to saving my fingers for carving rather than typing, we created the videos. I can't imagine how fun it would be to have one's own show and get to do things like that every day....

hey Martha, ya need an assistant? besides carving pumpkins, I have a mean set of glittering skills I can show ya! Call me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello!
im from spain and i would like to know how to crave a pumpkin. my mother just bought one but i dnt know where to start. ive gone to youtube but i cant find the "how to" section and ive written "how to crave a pumpkin" but i cant find it. please, can you help me?
thank you very much,

Paula