Saturday, October 17, 2009

Day 78 - Look What I Can Do!

"Look what I can do!" Is the mantra of four year olds the world over. True, some are not ready to carve yet, but they are ready to help you! Each year I work with countless numbers of children under seven that help me carve pumpkins. Even the youngest ones can take part in the process. They help me choose a pattern and then tape it onto the pumpkin. Then they help to poke the pattern onto the pumpkin. If they're really little, I hold the poking tool at the bottom, and their little fingers hold the top and help to push it in while I guide them. Once the pattern's on, they help rub in the flour to make the pattern stand out. The older ones can usually saw on their own, but for those that are unsteady or too little, again I'll hold the tool at the base, and they'll hold the top of it and help me saw in and out while I guide the saw. Yes, they go "off line" and a little crooked. So what! It always turns out well. And of course, they LOVE turning on the light and placing it in the pumpkin.
As their parent, YOU have to judge whether or not you're child is old enough to carve a pumpkin, no matter what the age printed on the carving saw kit says. But there's still a lot little ones can do to "help" you with the process and feel like they're part of the fun. However, what if you don't want them to carve at all? You could print out an extra pattern, and you may carve while they color. You could let them paint their pumpkin with non toxic paints. And the big hit at the Virginia Living Museum? We brought pumpkins painted all over with chalkboard paint, as well as giant pieces of sidewalk chalk. Big sis helped me carve while little sis colored her chalk pumpkin. It was a huge hit! Great with the preschool set!
Get creative, relax, and just have fun...if you do those three things it will be a success!

Happy Carving...or Coloring!

No comments: