Saturday, August 1, 2009

Day 2...Hollywood Here I Come!



Hollywood Cemetery that is! Now I'll admit, I'm not your average mother. How many moms spend a sunny summer afternoon schlepping their family around a cemetery? Richmond's Hollywood Cemetery dates back to the mid 1800's wherein everyone, from Confederate soldiers to U.S. Presidents, has found a place to rest. But I sure didn't! I find that cemeteries are like art museums. Beauty and grace are found in the most amazing sculptures. With camera in hand, we strolled the quiet grounds, the rushing sounds of the James River rumbling beyond the hills. And there she was. A shrouded stone figure, arms spread like wings, beckoning. Instantly I fell in love with this hauntingly beautiful sculpture. One of those carvings in which the eyes follow you wherever you go and you feel like she's looking into your soul. I snapped away on my camera and only last night noticed the fine silvery cobwebs brushing her face. The soft green of the moss growing along the folds of her clothes. The leaves gathered around her neck.

Beautiful! Simply, utterly, incredibly beautiful!

No comments: